Top 10 tips when hiring an Immigration Attorney
Did you know that neglect is the number one complaint filed against Texas attorneys and the number one reason attorneys are disciplined by the State Bar of Texas? The truth of the matter is that immigration cases generally take several months to several years to complete. For this reason, it is important to hire an attorney that will be there for you when you need them.
Here are 10 tips to use when hiring an immigration attorney.
- Watch out for attorneys with limited availability – When you reach out to an attorney, you should make a mental note of how long it takes before the attorney returns your phone call and/or email. At the Law Office of David Nguyen, PC, you can contact Attorney David Nguyen directly via phone, email, Skype, text, or fax.
- Be careful when hiring a general practitioner – You have probably heard the saying, “Jack of all trades, master of none.” This is also true in the legal field. If you visit an attorney that handles all types of legal matters (i.e. Personal Injury, Criminal, Family, Immigration, Consumer, Landlord/Tenant, etc.), you should be very careful. Attorneys that handle all types of legal matters may find it difficult to stay abreast of changes to immigration laws that are constantly evolving.
- Be cautious of attorneys that cannot provide you with a fixed fee – If you hire an attorney, make sure that you are given a ballpark or clear estimate of what the legal fees will be. Some attorneys will try to charge you a small amount initially but will find reasons to charge you more for additional services. Experienced attorneys can provide you with a clear list of anticipated charges. At the Law Office of David Nguyen, PC, you can expect clear estimates of government filing fees as well as legal fees.
- Ask if the attorney will provide you with free access to your case file – Some law firms will charge clients for access to their own case file. Unlike other firms, the Law Office of David Nguyen, PC automatically provides all of our clients with a scanned copy of any document sent and/or received from U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).
- Avoid attorneys without an online presence – When hiring an attorney, you should review the attorney’s website and look for client feedback. If an attorney has been practicing for several years but does not have a website or multiple client reviews, you should proceed with caution.
- Be worried if you do not receive a legal agreement – When you hire an attorney, make sure that you are given a signed legal agreement. An agreement protects you from hiring an attorney that over promises and under-delivers. Also, the agreement will help ensure that your attorney knows what services you require and are paying for.
- Watch out for guarantees and empty promises – If an attorney tells you that your case is easy and there is nothing to worry about, it may be a sign that s/he may be inexperienced. More experienced immigration attorneys will be able to anticipate potential issues that you may have with the immigration process. At the Law Office of David Nguyen, PC, we avoid making promises or guarantees, since immigration benefits are discretionary and depend on the facts of each case.
- Be cautious of hiring an attorney with extremely low fees – If you hire an attorney, you should be cautious of an attorney that charges an extremely low fee. You should ask the attorney what the fee covers. Does fee only cover assistance with the initial filing or does the fee include follow-up appointments, assistance with Requests for Additional Evidence (RFEs), ancillary matters, etc. Experienced immigration attorneys understand how much work an immigration case actually requires and will set reasonable fees.
- Inquire about the attorney’s actual availability during normal office hours – If an attorney is only available for a few hours a week, it will limit your ability to receive adequate legal representation. The Law Office of David Nguyen, PC is generally open Monday through Friday from 8 AM to 6 PM – and every other Saturdays.
- Choose an attorney that is an effective communicator – Most immigration cases take months or years to complete. When you choose an attorney, select a person that you can feel comfortable meeting, calling, emailing, or texting.
The Law Office of David Nguyen, PC has successfully handled hundreds of immigration petitions and/or applications – and can assist you with your immigration needs.
For more information on Top 10 tips when hiring an Immigration Attorney In Texas, a free initial consultation is your next best step. Get the information and legal answers you are seeking by calling (281) 777-1236 today. We have two convenient locations in north and south Houston, Texas.
Call For A Free Consultation*