Call For a Free Consultation* (281) 777-1236

Law Office of David Nguyen, PC.
Law Office Of David Nguyen BBB Business Review
Only 1 of 5 recommended immigration law firms

Should I apply for a reentry permit as a Permanent Resident (“Green Card holder”)?

Permanent Resident (“Green Card holder”)

Unfortunately, Lawful Permanent Residents (“Green Card holders”) must follow certain rules when traveling abroad. As a Green Card holder, short trips are allowed. However, if a trip is over SIX (6) months, this creates a “reasonable presumption” that an LPR intended to abandon his/her U.S. residence.

LPRs that have taken a trip abroad of over SIX (6) months may have to provide proof to a U.S. Customs and Border Patrol (CBP) officer that s/he did not intend to abandon their residence. Additionally, if the trip is more than SIX (6) months in duration, but under ONE (1) year, it is unlikely that a CBP officer will allow a LPR to return to the U.S.

If a LPR has a family emergency or intends to travel abroad for more than ONE (1) year, s/he will need to apply for a reentry permit. A reentry permit allows LPRs to travel abroad for more than ONE (1) year, but less than TWO (2) years. A reentry permit does not guarantee that you will be readmitted to the U.S. when you return, but it can help you prove that your trip was intended to be temporary.

Warning: We do not recommend that a Green Card holder travel abroad while the reentry permit application is pending with USCIS.

For more information on Should I apply for a reentry permit as a Lawful Permanent Resident (“Green Card holder”) a free consultation is your next best step. Get the information and legal answers you are seeking by calling (281) 777-1236 today.

Call For A Free Consultation*
(281) 777-1236

Related Articles