Call For a Free Consultation* (281) 777-1236

Law Office of David Nguyen, PC.
Law Office Of David Nguyen BBB Business Review
Only 1 of 5 recommended immigration law firms

How can I check on the status of my case?

After a case is filed with U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), it can be monitored in several ways. Please note that, due to privacy/confidentiality/policy reasons, certain cases require specific methods to obtain updates.

Create an Account and Register for Automatic Case Updates

Most cases can be monitored via Simply visit the site and click on “Check Case Status” on the right hand side of the website:

Create an Account and Regis

Next, click on “Sign up” at the upper left hand side of the screen or “Sign Up” and the lower right hand side of the screen to create an online account.

Sign up

Follow the prompts:

  • Accept the disclaimer

  • Register as the Applicant/Petitioner

  • Provide your identification information

  • Provide answers to security questions

  • Register your Receipt Numbers found on your I-797, Notice of Action

Follow the prompts


After you register the case by entering in the Receipt Number, please make sure to click the appropriate buttons to receipt email or text notifications. We recommend selecting both options.


Contact USCIS Customer Service by Phone

Most cases can be monitored by calling USCIS customer service at 1 (800) 375-5283. You will be required to enter in the case Receipt Number. Please note that USCIS customer service can only provide you with information that is available via USCIS customer service agents are available Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 9 p.m. Eastern except on federal holidays.


Please note that the agents that you speak with are NOT attorneys and any advice or instruction that you are given should be verified by an immigration attorney.


Contact USCIS Customer Service by Phone

Contact USCIS by Mail/Courier

Most cases can be monitored by requesting a status update in writing. You can send your status request by writing to the government address listed on your Receipt Notice.

Contact an Immigration Attorney

Immigration attorneys are given confidential email addresses to service centers. Attorney David Nguyen has experience contacting USCIS on behalf of his clients.

For more information on How to Check on the Status of My Case, a free initial consultation is your next best step. Get the information and legal answers you are seeking by calling (281) 777-1236 today. We have two convenient locations in north and south Houston, Texas.

Call For A Free Consultation*
(281) 777-1236

Related Articles