Call For a Free Consultation* (281) 777-1236

Law Office of David Nguyen, PC.
Law Office Of David Nguyen BBB Business Review
Only 1 of 5 recommended immigration law firms

What is a E-3 visa?

What is a E-3 visa Lawyer, Houston, Texas

The E-3 visa is a nonimmigrant (temporary) visa that enables foreign nationals from Australia to come and work in the United States. Since the E-3 visa is temporary, it will not lead to a Permanent Resident Card (“Green Card”).

To qualify for the E-3 visa, foreign nationals must be a citizen of Australia.

How can I apply for E-3 classification?

Foreign nationals must provide evidence of the following:

  • S/he is a national of Australia;

  • S/he is entering the U.S. to work in a position that requires specialized training or knowledge as defined in the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA) section 214(i)(1);

  • The position in the U.S. requires at least a Bachelor’s degree (or its foreign equivalent) in the field as a minimal entry-level requirement;

  • S/he has a prearranged full-time or part-time job with a U.S. employer;

  • The employer must demonstrate its ability to pay the foreign worker; and

  • S/he has the qualifications to practice in the profession in question

Do I need a degree?

Yes, the position/job in the U.S. must require, at a minimum, a bachelor’s degree (or its foreign equivalent).

How long can I be employed on a E-3 visa?

E-3 visas are generally given for an initial period of TWO (2) years. Unlike many employment visas, E-3 visas can be theoretically renewed indefinitely.

How do I enter the U.S. on a E-3?

Australian citizens can apply for an E-3 visa at a U.S. consulate or embassy abroad. Additionally, Australian citizens currently in the U.S. can apply for E-3 nonimmigrant status by filing a petition with U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).

Can my family come with me to the United States?

E-3 visa holders can bring their spouses and unmarried children who are under 21-years-old.

Can my spouse and child work on their E-3D nonimmigrant status?

E-3 spouses can apply for an Employment Authorization Document (“EAD” or “work permit”). Although the E-3 principal must work only for the E-3 petitioner, the E-3 spouse can work for any employer or be self-employed.

Can I apply for an immigrant petition while on E-3 status?

Yes, you can apply for an immigrant petition while you are inside the U.S. However, we recommend that you proceed with extreme caution, since E-3 status does not allow for “dual intent.” This means that if the immigrant petition fails or is unsuccessful, foreign nationals may find it difficult to extend their E-3 classification.

For more information on E-3 nonimmigrant visas, a free initial consultation is your next best step. Get the information and legal answers you are seeking by calling (281) 777-1236 today.

Call For A Free Consultation*
(281) 777-1236

Related Articles