Call For a Free Consultation* (281) 777-1236

Law Office of David Nguyen, PC.
Law Office Of David Nguyen BBB Business Review
Only 1 of 5 recommended immigration law firms

Can I travel after filing my naturalization application?

traveling after filing naturalization application

Maybe.  Although lawful permanent residents (also known as a “Green Card holders”) can travel freely outside of the United States after applying for naturalization, there are many situations that may cause a Green Card holder to remain “stuck” abroad. Green Card holders may have issues traveling abroad if:

  • The foreign passport has expired or will expire before their return trip to the U.S.
  • The Green Card has expired
  • The Green Card will expire before their return trip to the U.S.
  • The Green Card holder has criminal background/history (even if the case was dismissed, expunged, or if they were given pretrial diversion or deferred adjudication)
  • The Green Card holder has a pending criminal case
  • The Green Card holder has traveled frequently outside of the U.S.
  • The Green Card holder was previously in removal/deportation proceedings
  • The foreign national has a name that is similar to a name that is on the Department of Homeland Security’s No Fly List

Additionally, if an applicant is abroad, the applicant may miss important notifications from USCIS, such as the biometrics or the interview notice, since the online USCIS Case Tracker is not always up-to-date.

Although traveling abroad is permissible, it is risky when an applicant is not represented by an attorney.   Having an immigration ensures that you will receive all of the important notifications about your case. Additionally, your immigration attorney can provide you with important travel advice and forms, which will help you depart and return to the U.S. without complications.

For more information on Can I travel after filing my naturalization application a free consultation is your next best step. Get the information and legal answers you are seeking by calling (281) 777-1236 today.

Call For A Free Consultation*
(281) 777-1236