Law Office of David Nguyen, PC.
Law Office Of David Nguyen BBB Business Review
Only 1 of 5 recommended immigration law firms

Can I obtain a Green Card through the 245(i) Life Act?

Generally, one of the requirements for being able to obtain a Permanent Resident Card (“Green Card”) in the United States, includes proof of lawful entry (inspection) or maintaining lawful immigration status at all times.

Foreign nationals that have entered the U.S. without inspection or have resided in the U.S. for more than SIX (6) months may be barred from reentering the U.S. after traveling abroad for a period of THREE (3) to TEN (10) years. This is a big problem, since only individuals that have entered the U.S. lawfully or have maintained lawful immigration at all times can adjust status (apply for a Green Card) pursuant to INA § 245(a).

Under INA §245(i) Life Act, a foreign national that was a principal or derivative beneficiary of an older petition filed on or before April 30, 2001 may be eligible to pay a $1,000 penalty and adjust their status in the U.S. – without having to undergo consular processing abroad (and triggering the 3 or 10-year unlawful presence bar).

Who benefits from 245(i) Life Act?

Example 1: Kristie filed an immigrant petition for her sister, Madison, before April 30, 2001. Madison had a son, Parker, who was 5 years old at the time. If Parker enters the U.S. without inspection and later marries a U.S. citizen, he may be allowed to adjust status using the 245(i) Life Act.

Example 2: Tom filed an immigrant petition for his brother, Nathan, before April 30, 2001. Nathan did not have any children when the petition was filed. However, if Nathan had children before April 30, 2001, his children may be allowed to adjust status using the 245(i) Life Act.

Example 3: Evan is a U.S. citizen. Evan marries Jenny, who entered the U.S. unlawfully. Evan filed an immigrant petition for her before April 30, 2001. Before the petition was approved, Evan and Jenny divorce. In 2019, Jenny marries John, a U.S. citizen. Jenny may be able to adjust status using the 245(i) Life Act.

Why was my 245(i) Life Act application denied?

The 245(i) Life Act application process is complicated. If you believe that you may qualify under the 245(i) Life Act contact an experience attorney to analyze your case. Attorney Nguyen has successfully argued 245(i) eligibility with the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) and before the Executive Office of Immigration Review (EOIR).

Experience Matters

The Law Office of David Nguyen, PC has successfully handled hundreds of immigration petitions and/or applications – and can assist you with your immigration needs.

For more information on Can I qualify for a Green Card using 245i Life Act, a free initial consultation is your next best step. Get the information and legal answers you are seeking by calling (281) 777-1236 today. We have two convenient locations in north and south Houston, Texas.

Call For A Free Consultation
(281) 777-1236

Related Articles